Headley Insurance Services Ltd


We are the approved insurance brokers to the Morgan Motor Company Limited, and as a result we have devised a range of insurance products which recognise the care lavished upon these cars.

Morgan owner Philip Bell, formerly of General Insurance Agency and an enthusiastic member of CRANMOG worked with us, providing us with a wealth of knowledge and experience in the ownership and insurance of Morgan cars. This puts us in an excellent position to meet the insurance requirements of the Morgan fraternity.

Some of the special features that we offer are:

Bullet Point Agreed Value – no quibbling about the car's worth
  in the event of a total loss
Bullet Point Retained Salvage Option
Bullet Point Limited Mileage Discount
Bullet Point Low cost breakdown cover at £35.00 per annum –
  (UK and Europe)
Bullet Point 90 Days free foreign use or annual
  Green Card Option
Bullet Point Personal Business Use option

If you own a Morgan or are considering buying one, call us on 01420 594242 or visit our dedicated site https://www.moginsurance.co.uk to see why we're the preferred insurance provider recommended by the Morgan Motor Company Ltd.

Visit our links page for related sites.

We can be contacted by telephone on 01420 594242, or by filling in our On-line Form.


Headley Group Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and is entered on the FCA register (www.fca.gov.uk) under reference Reg no 306701.

Headley Insurance Services is a trading name of Headley Group Limited, William Curtis House, Lenten Street, Alton, Hampshire, GU34 1HG
Offices also at: 1551 Wimborne Road, Kinson, Bournemouth BH10 7AZ & 6 Queen Street, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1BD
Companies House: Headley Group Limited is a Registered Company in England.
Registration number is 4851495 at William Curtis House, Lenten Street, Alton, Hampshire, GU34 1HG

If you are unhappy with our service we have a complaints procedure, details of which are available on request by emailing [email protected]. You may be able to refer a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) if you are unhappy with how we deal with your complaint.
The FOS website is www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk